New Liskeard, Ont, Unincorporated Place, pop 4802 (2006c), 4906 (2001c). New Liskeard is located on the northwestern end of Lake TIMISKAMING, 157 km northwest of North Bay.
New Liskeard, Ont, Unincorporated Place, pop 4802 (2006c), 4906 (2001c). New Liskeard is located on the northwestern end of Lake TIMISKAMING, 157 km northwest of North Bay. Incorporated as a town in 1903, it merged with the town of HAILEYBURY and Dymond Township (incorporated 1901) to create the city of Temiskaming Shores in 2004.
The history of this agrarian community at the mouth of Wabi Creek dates back to 1893 when the Ontario government first opened the area to settlement. The agricultural potential of the Little Clay Belt, a 56-km strip of land stretching to the northwest, quickly attracted farmers from "Old" Ontario. First known as Liskeard (after Liskeard, England), the name was changed by postal authorities to New Liskeard to avoid confusion with Leskard in Durham County.
By 1896 a thriving village had come into existence. Its role as service centre to the surrounding farming community was assured by the arrival of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (ONTARIO NORTHLAND) in 1905, and its growth was shaped by the varying fortunes of agriculture.
Michael Barnes, The Tri-Towns: Cobalt, Haileybury and New Liskeard (2000); Louis S. Kurowski, The New Liskeard Story (1991); Bruce W. Taylor, New Liskeard: The Pioneer Years (2003).