The École Notre-Dame d'Acadie Music was a preparatory school administered by the sisters of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur. Founded in 1946 at Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur convent school in Saint-Joseph, NB, this institution was dedicated to teaching music to young girls. In 1949, it was relocated to Notre-Dame d'Acadie College in Moncton. The school was closed in 2003.

Foundation and Honours

Affiliated from 1949 to1963 with the Université Saint-Joseph de Memramcook (later Université de Moncton), this girls' college offered the B MUS degree as well as a teaching diploma in piano or singing. The choir, under the direction of Sister Marie-Lucienne, was awarded the City of Lincoln Trophy (see CIBC National Music Festival) four times (1952, 1954, 1955 and 1965). A mixed choir, combining members of the Chorale de l'Université St-Joseph (later Chorale de l'Université de Moncton) and the Notre-Dame d'Acadie choir under the same conductor won the trophy in 1962.

The college's influence spread throughout New Brunswick after the nuns opened music centres in about 20 locations, including Bathurst, Grand-Sault, Petit-Rocher, Fredericton, Edmundston and Campbellton.

Programs

After the closing of the Notre-Dame d'Acadie College in 1965, the school became a private preparatory institution, affiliated in 1972 with the Université de Moncton’s Music Department. Directed by Claudette Melanson, the École Notre-Dame d'Acadie continued to offer courses in piano, singing, and flute, as well as private classes in theory, solfège, dictation, harmony, introductory music history, and analysis. A certificate was granted after examinations for each of the nine grades. Facing a lack of religious teachers, the school had to cease its activities in 2003. The Université de Moncton created its own preparatory school of music the same year.