Loretteville

 Loretteville, Qué, Town, pop 13 737 (2001c), 14 168 (1996c), 14 219 (1991c), area 6.37 km2, inc 1947, is a member of the Québec Urban Community and is largely a residential suburb of QUÉBEC CITY. Loretteville is located about 15 km northeast from downtown Québec City, on the banks of Rivière Saint-Charles. It is often mistaken for the Huron or Wendake Indian Reserve, an enclave within Loretteville.

From 1760 to 1904, natives and non-natives alike were members of the same church congregation, Saint-Ambroise-de-la-Nouvelle-Lorette. In 1904, the Huron got their own chapel and church register and a parish municipality and village were simultaneously set up to serve the non-native population. One municipality became the town of Neufchâtel (now part of Québec City) and the latter became Saint-Ambroise. In 1913 Saint-Ambroise was renamed Loretteville. Loretteville attained its present boundaries in 1965 with the annexation of the town of Château-d'Eau.

Loretteville benefits economically from the tourist dollars spent in and around Wendake by primarily European tourists. These tourists are attracted by the prospects of reliving a mythical native past by visiting Notre-Dame-de-Lorette Chapel and Maison Aroüanne, by eating traditional native meals, and by buying native-made arts and crafts.