In 1889 Haileybury was established and named (after his English alma mater, Haileybury College) by Charles C. Farr, who came to the area six years earlier as an employee of Hudson's Bay Co.
Haileybury, Ont, urban area, population 9988 (2011c), 10 282 (2006c). Haileybury is located on the northwestern shore of Lake TIMISKAMING, 150 km north of North Bay. Incorporated as a town in 1904, it amalgamated with the town of NEW LISKEARD and Dymond Township (incorporated 1901) to create the city of Temiskaming Shores in 2004.
In 1889 Haileybury was established and named (after his English alma mater, Haileybury College) by Charles C. Farr, who came to the area six years earlier as an employee of Hudson's Bay Co. Because of its readily accessible port facilities on Lake Timiskaming and its proximity to the silver mines of COBALT and to the agricultural region known as Little Clay Belt, Haileybury developed as a residential, mercantile and service centre for the whole vicinity.
Famous for its devastation by several forest fires, most notably the Great Fire of 1922 that dispossessed over 2900 people, the town maintained and strengthened its role as a commercial entrepôt over the 20th century. The seat of the District of Timiskaming from 1912 to 2003, it is now the administrative centre for the new city of Temiskaming Shores. It is the site of Northern College's Haileybury School of Mines, which began holding classes in 1912.
Michael Barnes, The Tri-Towns: Cobalt, Haileybury and New Liskeard (2000); Brian Dobbs, Ghosts of Haileybury (1997); Great Fire of 1922 Committee, The Great Fire of 1922 (1999).