In the 1750s the ACADIANS began to settle the area, and, on 8 July 1760, Listuguj was the site of the last battle between the French and British during the SEVEN YEARS' WAR (see RESTIGOUCHE, BATTLE OF). The French lost 3 ships during that battle to the superior military tactics of the British. Now a national historic site, Parks Canada has developed an interpretation centre around the French ship Le Machault, which sank during the battle.
After European colonization, the Mi'kmaq territory gradually diminished to the size of the present reserve. A mission dedicated to St Anne was built in 1745 and served by the Capuchin order. One member, Father Pacifique (Henri Buisson d'Valigny, 1863-1943), produced the Gospels and a dictionary in the Mi'kmaq language.
Author ANTONIO LECHASSEUR
Links to Other Sites
Battle of the Ristigouche National Historic Site of Canada
The website for the Battle of the Restigouche National Historic Site, located at the mouth of the Restigouche River, at the far end of Chaleur Bay. From Parks Canada.