In the early 1800s the territory was opened up to exploit the forest resources. By the early 1820s the area around Lac Beauport was known as Waterloo Settlement. The first settlers were of English origin. In 1853 the parish municipality of Saint-Dunstan-du-Lac-Beauport was created. The name was shortened in 1989.
Since 1930 Lac-Beauport has gained a reputation as a year-round tourist destination. In that year the first of 2 downhill ski resorts (Mont-Murphy, now Le Relais) in the municipality opened. The ski resort attracted hotel and restaurant development. There is now a wide range of outdoor recreational activities offered in the municipality. At Mont Tourbillon there is a golf course and cross-country skiing trails. Activities around the lake include swimming, sailing, skating and cross-country skiing.
Although originally settled by English-speaking settlers, Lac-Beauport is now predominately French-speaking. The majority of those residents who do not work in the recreation-service sector commute to jobs in Québec City.
Author GAIL KUDELIK
Links to Other Sites
An informative site about the Jacques-Cartier River. From the "Canadian Heritage Rivers System" website.